1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

News New Aussi motion sim announced

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by noorbeast, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Blanes

Blanes Member

Balance:
    1,137Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 3 / -0
    Yeah good point mate, I guess though like anything you have to jump in and test it to really know what all those claims equal in terms of driving feel.

Not to confuse anyone but I changed to my nickname of blanes which is short version of my proper name :D
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok back to square one it looks like.
    You could put one together
    $12 wood saw, cheap electric drill (not cordless), cheap hacksaw. Cheap set of spanners and sockets. Screwdrivers, cheap soldering iron. Set of drill bits, thread tap.
    Less than 2m2 build area or use the drive way outside
    I had a though,
    PVC pipe seat mover frame, 16mm sheets of MDF.
    Packet of wood screws.
    Steering universal joint knuckle from wreckers for pivot.
    Various size nuts and bolts from hardware store
    Motors from Motion Dynamics
    Mounts for motors from motion dynamics
    JRKs need some soldering.
    Potentiometers from online supplier
    various size wire.
    Things like rod ends from online.
    Threaded rod from hardware store.
    I build all of my rigs on a garage floor and with the exception of having a cheap welder, it could be done with PVC pipe frame, give it a paint and it would look nifty.
    I only have cheap hand tools to my disposal. I built 12 of my rigs with all that, including a PVC pipe motion rig
    Only recently I bought a drill press, but I have been fine without it.
    Just a suggestion
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Blanes

Blanes Member

Balance:
    1,137Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 3 / -0
    Thanks dave ... I got a message from Robbie which sounds really great as he is currently about to commence work on a motionsim and has offered to build me one too ... awesome, so I have replied to him & will let you know how it goes.

Appreciate you mentioning it & posting a callout yesterday for someone to help me out, you guys really have such a great community here :)
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Archie

Archie Eternal tinkerer

Balance:
    3,796Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,379 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I've come in a bit late to this thread, but have caught up.

I don't know what your personal circumstances are @Blanes but I have no workshop and very little in the way of real tools.
    I bought a Drill Press and had a MIG welder from Ebay that I got for $99 about 3 years ago.

I was so enthused by this community that I went from No Sim to Motion Sim in just over a month.
    (I have young kids and work two jobs :) )

As for the Video @noorbeast posted of the RBR demo, you can get your answer to the sharpness of the sim in the last 5 seconds.
    You will notice he hits a wall and is flung across the track onto the other wall. In my sim I would literally have whiplash and be making "Grunting noises" from the impact.
    In the video, it hardly shudders.

You can see my build here. Welcome! And good luck.
    • Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  5. Blanes

Blanes Member

Balance:
    1,137Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 3 / -0
    Cheers Archie, thanks for the input and I just checked out your build thread, totally awesome I left a comment in there and watched your movies. Bloody great :D
  6. Archie

Archie Eternal tinkerer

Balance:
    3,796Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,379 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Thanks @Blanes (PS - Type in @ then the name to tag people you want to "shout out" to - The forum will auto complete the name as you type)

I nearly did the same as you, buy a ready made rig, but @bsft and @noorbeast talked me into making my own rig just from seeing what they have done.

Glad @eaorobbie has sorted you out though. Between those three guru's of the Aussie side of things, you have all bases covered!!! :D
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Blanes

Blanes Member

Balance:
    1,137Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 3 / -0
    Seem to have lost contact with @eaorobbie as he hasn't replied to my emails since last week ... hope all is ok with him and he is just snowed under with family and work. Give us a hoi if you read this Robbie. cheers blanes
  8. Corporatezombie

Corporatezombie Member SimAxe Beta Tester Gold Contributor

Balance:
    148Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    How good of a Sim, could you make for 2 grand? Do you think? This is about my budget!
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Corporatezombie ,
    Most simulators here are built under $1000 and thats a good ol' 2 DOF and will rival the performance of a SCN based sim.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  10. GIB SimRacing

GIB SimRacing Active Member

Balance:
    983Coins
    Ratings:
    +246 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    It depends on what type of sim you want to build and if you need to get a wheel, PC and so on. But bsft is spot on, 2DOF can be made for less than $1000.
    If you have $2000 just for motion, you will be able to build something pretty amazing.
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Corporatezombie

Balance:
    148Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    Bear in mind, that if you decide to order from Simxperience you will have to wait quite a while for it to arrive!
    I ordered mine in May, (a stage 1 and rear traction loss module) , and it took 10 weeks to get to my door! Only 1 week of that was shipping to the UK.
    In hindsight, By that time, I might have been able to plan my own simulator, source parts, learn the electronics, learn how to weld, and build my own simulator!
    Still, hindsight is a wonderful thing, sigh!

But most likely I'd just have a burnt pile of unused components, rather than what I did do, which was funnelling my energies into the simxperience forum complaining about the long lead times! And end up with a working simulator at the end of it! It's a choice!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Blanes

Blanes Member

Balance:
    1,137Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 3 / -0
    Was it worth it in the end though ? How do you like the simx motion ... you never did say after all ! :)

I bought a wheel off them and must say it is an amazing piece of kit ... I will have motion one day though !!!
  14. Corporatezombie

Balance:
    148Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    I think it was worth it in the end!
    I really like it, and I've only really had a couple of days to play with it so far!
    I think I finally truly *got it*, you know... that big smile... the one you get when you drive a fast car on sweeping empty country lane, and it feels good. I got exactly that feeling hen I started running the Audi LMP1 car from project cars around the Le Mans circuit, and I reached the Porsche curves. OMG, it was epic.

I know what it's like though... you spend a lot of money, you have to like it right? Because, well you kind of have to justify the spending of that money, to yourself. But I actually really do like it!

Although I'm half expecting my friends to try it and say well it's not 6dof is it? But even if you had 6dof stewart platform or the like, part of you would be like... well it doesn't go upside-down though does it? And part of you is like, if you had a full 360 spinning sim, well it doesn't actually KILL you when you crash does it! Lol.
    But I think I'm satisfied with it for now at least!

How is the Accuforce treating you? Is it really THAT good? I'm a bit worried that it actually is... And I might have to get one... and I'll be back on the Simxperience forums complaining about lead times again...
    How is it for being supported by games? Is it a mega pain to set them up?
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Blanes

Blanes Member

Balance:
    1,137Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 3 / -0
    2 dof will be plenty for me when I can get it. Love the AF and I could never go back to my old Fanatec CSR wheel. Together with my buttkickers it gives my obutto cockpit a good shake. Configuring is half the fun but is not really hard to do, in pCars, DiRT Rally and Assetto Corsa it is really great. The OSW diy route can yield a wheel with more torque and probably cheaper but you do not get the simcommander software. I have never regretted my purchase at all. Try any direct drive wheel if you get the opportunity and you will see what a massive difference it is.
  16. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    the SimX wheel has been having some teething issue's as of late. wheel mounting woes(QR) , and also "disconnects" on quick movements of the wheel which is proving to be a Slip Ring issue.....If your really interested in Servo wheel, I say go the OSW route.....leaves far more doors open for better wheel's and button setups. (yes you need to DIY that as well) and Technically should save you some $$ if you plan it out right.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Corporatezombie

Balance:
    148Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    2 dof is perfect... until you try 3. :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blanes

Blanes Member

Balance:
    1,137Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 3 / -0
    I know you are right but I just want any motion to start with. With the AF there is lots of debate people saying bad things about it but I have found it to be a very solid and well made piece of kit and the enjoyment of using it was much higher than I anticipated. It may not be as powerful as the osw but it is more than enough for many including me and the simcommander software cannot be underestimated as it is so configurable. Dirt Rally can use the AF foundation feedback which comes direct from the physics of the game and is really good compared with the dismal game ffb that codies provide.
  19. Leo Burton

Leo Burton Active Member

Balance:
    2,625Coins
    Ratings:
    +129 / 1 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    @Blanes
    Have you seen @Wanegain's 2-dof Simukit? A few of us here have bought it and it's great. I'm not an engineer or anything. Totally mechanically and electrically illiterate, but I was able to follow his tutorial and ended up with an awesome starter kit.
    It's only 420 euros (approx) and I was able to build it in 2 days.
    I have very limited tools, but was able to get the MDF cut in my local hardware store (B&Q) and very easy soldering. A great way to get motion easily and learn the basics. wanegain is great for emailing questions.

Here is my build thread
    http://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/2-dof-simukit-build.6702/
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Blanes

Blanes Member

Balance:
    1,137Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 3 / -0
    Thanks mate, I never did hear of that and will check it out ... I do have something in mind already but is cost bit more. cheers :)