1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Speed Data out of No Limits Roller Coaster

Discussion in 'Official Companion Apps' started by CoachKalk, Oct 5, 2014.

1. CoachKalk

CoachKalk Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I know I have a different thread discussing the Arduino code for the wind simulation, but I am hoping that a thread mentioning No Limits and Speed Data may catch the eye of a forum member that may have overlooked the last thread.

As stated in the other thread, I am trying to implement a wind simulator for the No Limits game.

I have confirmed that the plugin allows for this.
    I have bugged our resident Arduino expert for a code to use.
    Now, I am struggling to figure out what form the speed data comes into the Dash Board as.

I have tried downloading the artmonkey software, but both programs need to be running at the same time and No Limits does not allow the game screen to be minimized. I have also emailed No Limits directly to see if they would/could help me out.

As I understand it, I need to know what No Limits is sending to the Dash Board so I then know what modifications need to be put in place so the data can be outputted and read by the Arduino. Is that correct?

I have tried
    Round 0
    Pad 3 0
    just as a shot in the dark because it worked for a different game. No luck.
    Assuming I can sit at my dining room table with my laptop, fan and Arduino circuit, I will try anything and everything, I just have no idea what type of modifications would need to be made.

Ideally, a forum member know the form of the data ...
    Next, I would love to see/know what types of commands users have needed to use ... and I will just start trying those. Yes, as you may be able to tell, I am getting desperate. :)
  2. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,497Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Windowed.png
    Setup
    Display
    Uncheck Fullscreen
    Unchecked.png
    NLS does not send out data. This is all done by the plugin.
    You can define an interface (COM port, IP address, etc.) in GameEngine and send the Extra1 data to this interface in the format as defined in the GameEngine.
    I'm not sure about the Dash Output. Maybe @yobuddy can help here.
  3. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,163Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    @CoachKalk,

Have you installed GameDash?
    http://www.xsimulator.net/community/marketplace/game-dash.76/
    GameDash does all of the reformatting and it can be configured to send the correct data to your device.

The next problem I see is the plugin only supports:
    Motion data: This plugin provides surge, sway, heave acceleration.
    So for the GameDash to receive data the Speed offset would have to be found.
    And then we need to enable the DashOutput in the plugin and add Speed as an output dash var.

For now take a look at Live for Speed with the GameDash (be sure to enable the GameDash output in game manager) for some testing and to get it working. It will work the same in NLS once we get the data for speed.

I don't have it installed right now, but will look for it later...
    yobuddy
  4. CoachKalk

CoachKalk Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @yobuddy - I was thinking @value1 confirmed speed was included as Extra1 in No Limits, but I will switch to LFS if needed to try to get it running.

I do have Game Dash installed and have tried a few different settings. Obviously I was missing a few key ideas as I thought I needed data from No Limits, but it is really coming from the plugin. Duh!

I included some screen shots in my other thread. I am trying to combine info from a few other threads from others, but I have several missing parts it seems.

I will try to work through LFS.
  5. CoachKalk

CoachKalk Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @value1 - thank you for the help to change No Limits to window instead of full screen. I can now see the Game Dash and Tuning Center - very helpful. Unfortunately, I can now see that No Limits does not include speed as @yobuddy mentioned.

I am now working with LFS to try to get the fan working with the Dash Board/Arduino. I can see the speed data in the DashBoard, but I am unsure of what to put in the Output Settings area in Game Dash. (Startup - Output, Interface Output and Shutdown - Output).

Help ... Pretty please ...
  6. value1

Balance:
    14,497Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    The NLS plugin does provide speed. Dash1 and extra1 are speed.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. CoachKalk

CoachKalk Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @value1 - I may not be looking in the right place. After your help with minimizing the screen, I ran a roller coaster with the Tuning Center and Game Dash open. The Game Dash Dash 1 description did change to say Speed (m/s), but the values did not change. If I remember correctly, it stayed at 1. When I did the same test with LFS, the speed values in Game Dash were changing per the game.

Should I be doing something different to see changes in the Game Dash?
  8. value1

Balance:
    14,497Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    It works here with the standard settings.
    Worx.png
  9. CoachKalk

CoachKalk Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @value1 - I will try again and try to copy your screen shot on my end. I checked No Limits and I def. see Extra 1 highlighted, I just can't get values to show. Hopefully I will find my problem by copying your screens.

Thanks for your help.
  10. CoachKalk

CoachKalk Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    [​IMG]
    @value1 - I tried to copy your screens. Mine is not as orderly as yours, but I tried to include as much as I could. I am getting nothing at Extra 1. Could the issue be that I am not running No Limits 2? Should I download the latest plugin again?
  11. value1

Balance:
    14,497Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Aha! I wasn't aware that you are running V1.x
    There indeed is no speed availabe. Sorry for the misunderstanding! :cheers
  12. CoachKalk

CoachKalk Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @value1 - so, oh great plugin master, does NL1 not have the capability to have speed or it just doesn't currently (hint hint)? If it cannot be added, I would like to ask your opinion on NL2. I would have to decide if the fun of a fan would be worth dropping the coin for NL2.
  13. CoachKalk

CoachKalk Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Actually, I have the code and Arduino just staring at me so I might as well try getting LFS working. I'll just pretend none of the cars have windshields!

I am assuming I need to add some info in the output settings. Do I need something in all 3 sections? Would the Interface Output just be S<Dash1>?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. CoachKalk

CoachKalk Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    OK, I added S<Dash1> to the Interface Output and the fan turns!! The problem is the fan starts turning as soon as I start the game and does not change speed while driving. Also, after I exit out of the game, the fan continues to run until I unplug the USB. When I plug it back in, the fan stays off until I start the game again.

Could this be a circuit issue? @eaorobbie - do I need to use a resistor to pull pin 11 down after the game is exited?
  15. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,163Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    What you need for output depends on the firmware you are running.
    So that's where I would start, and then pattern the output with GameDash for the ard.
    yobuddy
  16. Mamati

Mamati Member

Balance:
    158Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hello,
    can someone help me for Arduino Uno codes to drive an RC Electronic speed Controller?
    I have a RC brushless motor and ESC combo pack that I used on my rc buggy, and I am planning to put a propeller on the motor in order to have the wind simulation on my RollerCoaster sim.
    Here is the wiring of the hardware, [​IMG] I need codes for Arduino to work with Game Dash.
    I think that once having the codes this hardware configuration will be the best for wind (fan) simulation because they are cheap and there are many models for application needed as power, dimensions, long life, high RPM etc...