1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Server PS Mod

Discussion in 'Electronic and hardware generally' started by CoachKalk, Sep 17, 2014.

1. CoachKalk

CoachKalk Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I have modified server PS's for my motors and everything seems to be running fine. I just thought of something this morning though.

During my research for my build, I had read of the loud fan noise on the supplies. I also found a DIY that provided a method of pinning the fan in such a way to keep it on low until more fan speed is needed. My question is, after how much simulator use should the fans kick into "loud" mode? I am just trying to make sure I don't lose a supply because of overheating. At this point, I can hardly hear my supplies and I was just expecting something louder. Don't get me wrong, I love the quiet, but not at the cost of the supply.

Anyone else here do the pin mod for low fan speed?

Thanks,
    Steve
  2. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,890Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    What I have read it that the "pin tweak" is not really a auto-adjustable fan speed... beware! it only reduce the speed
    (the normal PSU supervision is not running)

Each simulator has its own power consumption (force level, length of lever, weight of driver...)
    I can only advise you to monitor the temperature!
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    fan too loud? turn the game volume up
  4. CoachKalk

CoachKalk Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @RacingMat - thank you for the heads up. I think I will be "un pinning" the pins.

@bsft - believe me, I am totally fine with cranking the volume. I just thought I found a cool trick right out of the gate. But, just the the saying goes, if it looks to good to be true ...
  5. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    My Info says different, But i guess you never did say which PS you were refering to.

https://sites.google.com/site/tjinguytech/my-projects/HP47A

I tend to feel my PS's when i turn off my rig and I honestly cant say they have ever even be remotely warm to the touch.

Quote i found lurking the DSP 600 mod page on RC Groups.

"The circuit doesn't just short pin 4 to ground to halve fan speed, it has control over pin 4 to allow the fan to run at full speed if psu temperature rises. This is only for the DPS-600PB's that do not have temperature controlled fans."

Another quote from Very recent

"On a closer look I see that the fan speed does have a noticeable increase from 0 to 10 amps and 10 to 20 amps. This way it is directly related to current draw which should correlate directly with heat produced.

I think based on this doing the pin 4 ground is better for the PS because it will do a better job of keep a constant temperature as well as being quieter."
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  6. RacingMat

Balance:
    20,890Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
  7. CoachKalk

CoachKalk Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @Nick Moxley and @RacingMat - well now I am on the fence. I am indeed using the 600PB units. I also just started feeling the units after running and they are not even warm to the touch. Hmm ... What to do about the fan ...

Both of you use the same unit?
  8. RacingMat

Balance:
    20,890Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I did use it for the sim I sold.

If not warm without fan, don't worry.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK

Im going to trust my fellow RC geeks in that they've had Many more year's to play with these supplies and they are doing FAR more complicated setup's than what we currently are.

So I Vote YES! for the Fan speed mod.
    • Agree Agree x 1