1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Which speed to use with wipers? [efficiency]

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by Thread, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Wipers have two speeds, which one has better power efficiency? I guess the slower one, there is 180 degrees between the brushes, seems to be more regular, than the other one, the fast speed.
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Faster speed.
    Wipers are a good start, but overall , if you have to use extra power to move a frame, it may be a design problem.
    Or maybe look at larger motors, like the 12v 200 watt 25:1 or 50:1 gearbox motors. They are stronger and faster than wipers.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    OK, i see your point, just nobody seem to care about this wiper motor guidance.
    I will see when i complete my first 2DOF.
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hang on a minute, it was not stated we didn't care.
    Wiper motors have 2 speeds, yes. Not sure why you are after power efficiency though.
  5. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    For the budget, regarding power supplies.
    And i guess it can give more mechanical power on the slower connection, i will try 20-24V, than on the faster one with 12V, with the same amount of heat. But can't find any data, so will have to try.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    All worth experimenting mate, ya never know if ya never try.

I would be running the wipers off a cars DC battery or equivilant 13.8V power supply.

From past fun with wipers on Jrks I found 16V was a good voltage to use, not too much heat in motors or drivers being produced, I had a bad early design and eventually tore the worm gearing apart, oops , this is the fun of DIY Sim Building. Many ups and downs equals many night fun being thrown around on something you created.

Use the fast speed on the wipers but really if do not seem to cope change it back to the slow speed and test.
    Let us know how you go.
    • Informative Informative x 1