1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Are YOU a NEW MEMBER? Introduce HERE!

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by fermevc, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Ronald

Ronald New Member

Balance:
    409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys. My name is Ronald. I simrace for a while now and most of my stuff is DIY. My plans for next year is a servo motor steering wheel. If its gona be a DIY or a accuforce. Great forum with a lot of information :) Looking forward to spend some time on it.
  2. Yoder_

Yoder_ New Member

IT Dude
    Balance:
    400Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi everyone, first post here. I'm looking to build a motion sim for use with the Oculus Rift, and I'd like good motion in racing and flying/space sims, so I'm a bit torn on design. I'm from Oklahoma, and I'm a computer engineering major. I'm too broke to convince my wife to let me slam down the money for a full blown sim at the moment, so I've been building prototypes with servos, motors, arduinos, rotary encoders, and h-bridge drivers. So far, I've got two scale prototypes built, working with SimTools. Hope to learn a lot here!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, lots of different designs here. Just what ever takes your fancy.
    Heres a starters like for designs if it helps http://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/different-2dof-sim-builds-feel-free-to-add-designs.5624/
  4. Yoder_

Yoder_ New Member

IT Dude
    Balance:
    400Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
  5. Hicsy

Hicsy New Member

Balance:
    168Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6
    Gday, I'm a University student in Australia (Business/Computers).
    I actually work casual at a place that has race-simulator and I like mucking around with stuff like this. If I get good playing with simtools, you never know - I might even be able to convince my boss to change over haha

Anyway I thought i'd have a play with SimTools software on 2xSCN5 sim. I have rFactor & WRC4, and I use an Oculus DK2, so whatever supports Rift, too! (LFS etc)

First feedback straight-up: It was a MISSION to work out just how to download your software... it was weird not having any usage license info on the download page too... Not only that but your "fair use credits/system" is a bit daunting for a new user. Very closed off, REALLY silly business model... Oh, and I have spent about 5 hours trawling forums for ideas/usage/mods etc - logged in the whole time, and it had only given me a couple credits ( less than 18 total) - I would have EASILY been through over 100 threads - EVERY SINGLE post under a search for "SCN5" for starters!

Anyway, good luck with your program, there are LOTS of nice sims in your community :)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Tino

Tino Member

Balance:
    1,289Coins
    Ratings:
    +46 / 3 / -1
    Hi Hicksy,
    Yes, it would be nice to have something like http://www.tonymacx86.com/section/295-customac.html
    I'd like to purchase equipment through affiliate links so xsimulator.net gets a small percentage of the transaction.
    However I presume this is much easier done for PC parts than simulation hardware.
    All the best.
    Tino.
  7. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hello! Welcome here

Maybe you can start you search by the FAQ section and SCN subsection http://www.xsimulator.net/community/faq/
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. morg2borg

morg2borg New Member

Balance:
    368Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My name is Sean Morgan, I am a system integrator for a company called Mach Motion. I'm on here to build a Xmas Present for my son I have all the hardware and just looking for some good game output data for my motion system. looking for car and Plane I'll keep you posted on my Development.... just starting to design the system ...
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Lohmeyer

Lohmeyer New Member

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    521Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Hello, glad I found this site.

I came here searching for stuff on Force Feedback controllers and was pleasantly surprised at what you guys are doing.

One of my earliest flight sim experiences was making a card board cockpit using boxes and paper towel rolls for stuff like the yoke (probably back in the late '70's). I don't even remember how young I was, but it's pretty funny thinking about now. I probably didn't even know what a flight sim was back then.

Once I tried a FFB joystick in a flight sim, I concluded there's no point flying without one. Unfortunately, all the good joysticks or HOTAS controllers are non-FFB. I'm not likely to build an amazing cockpit simulator (I don't have the space for one), but I do plan to build some excellent flight sim controllers with FFB or motion control. I know DirectX FFB has severe limitations. It works, but this website seems to offer better alternatives. I couldn't be happier.

FYI, I am an electrical engineer and I design embedded controller products for a living. I'm also savvy with mechanical design and have a well setup CNC machine shop.

Regards,
    Mike
    • Like Like x 1
  10. RacingMat

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
  11. Lohmeyer

Lohmeyer New Member

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    521Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. Understood. To me, FFB and motion control are one in the same - methods to make a more realistic sim. So what caught my attention about this forum is the well established motion control software and hardware that is supported by the most popular sims and that it is _not_ DirectX FFB, but much more advanced. I've been thinking for a what that sims need to think in terms of motion control, not just FFB on a joystick or wheel, but I figured getting the entire industry to adopt a new standard? Ha! Well, looks like you guys have all been solving that - aided by the various hooks available in sims these days (like DCS LUA files to get flight data). Very cool.

Regards,
    Mike
  12. leandro

leandro New Member

Balance:
    339Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hi, My name is Leandro, I'm from Sampacho-Argentina, I want learn with you about RFactor plugins.
    Thanks for all,
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Radiance

Radiance

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi! I'm Radiance from California.
    Sim wise, I especially like flight sims and space flight games. I'm mostly here to learn. My current setup is quite sad, just a hotas mounted to an old desk chair and also some rudder pedals, lol.

I'm especially curious what is known about using simtools to generate telemetry-based signal for something like a bass transducer. Much of the information on this seems to be about simvibe (mostly racing focused) or X-Sim (which simtools has replaced I think?)
  14. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes
    Nothing wrong with office chair, I designed a seat mover for exactly that purpose, space saving
    deskracer.jpg
    Cheers, Dave.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. coldzik

coldzik New Member

Balance:
    353Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

My name is Marcin, I'm from Poland and i want build my first motion simulator :)
  16. RacingMat

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Welcome @Radiance !
    Good news! The Simtools developper @yobuddy is currently working on a bass shaker/tactil transducer app for Simtools!

@Lohmeyer : the main difference between motion and FFB is that in the second case, you have to control the torque which is more dofficult than controlling speed and position.

@coldzik : welcome here!
    Did you have the opportunity to test the gSeat from gekosystems in Poland? http://www.gekosystems.com/en.html
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Natdonmil

Natdonmil New Member

Balance:
    283Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi my name is Nathan I'm from New Zealand.

I'm really interested in building a motion sim I'm really looking forward to looking through these forums and getting some really good info.

Thanks for the great source of info guys.

Regards
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Radiance

Radiance

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That looks really good and compact! Looks like it could be moved or transported without too much fuss as well.

Good to hear it's in the works. Thanks for the fast answer!
  19. graz

graz New Member Gold Contributor

mechanic
    Balance:
    - 28Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Hi, I'm Graeme from Australia and new to this. I play rfactor and mainly race the Australian V8 supercars and after finding a couple of these sites and looking at some of the projects and doing some research decided I want to build my own 2dof sim.
    I was looking at using an arduino with sabertooth 2x25 with Dayton 200w worm drive motors.
    I am a mechanic so building the rig won't be a problem but any advice anyone could give regarding a program for the arduino or if there is a better option other than the arduino it would be greatly appreciated.
    cheers
  20. Konrad

Konrad Gdynia

automatic
    Balance:
    157Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi,

My name is Konrad and i'm from Poland. Me and my friend Mateusz want to build 2dof motion simulator. Soon we will create separate thread about our concept and progress, we have some knowledge about mechanic and electronic but it is our first time with motion simulator;)

Greetings to All:)