1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Playseat HS-200 DIY version?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Leo Burton, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Leo Burton

Leo Burton Active Member

Balance:
    2,625Coins
    Ratings:
    +129 / 1 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if this would be easy to replicate as a DIY project? It looks really compact, quiet and innovative.

http://www.motionsystems.eu/implementations/entertainment/2dof-playseat-motion-system/

Would the XSim software be capable of running a system like that?
    What actuators are they using?

Thanks in advance!!
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Not sure ,looks to be all packaged into one, proberly like a DBox unit which are AC Servos (or Steppers) connected to a ballscrew inside, DC motor will produce bigger motion and 1/4 or more cost.
    There is an SDK avail, ask the producers themselves we could possible create a small app to make them SimTools compatible , like I did for the Darim setups - http://darimsys.en.ec21.com/3DOF_Motion_Base--393218_393219.html
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok, we use Simtools, not xsim, here.
    The actuators they use are of their own design and they are slow compared to a DC motor or SCN actuator.
    With a compact design, did you have a frame design in mind?
    I have spent the last 3-4 years working on compact design frames with DC motors and JRKS.
    cheers, David.
  4. Leo Burton

Leo Burton Active Member

Balance:
    2,625Coins
    Ratings:
    +129 / 1 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Thanks for response. Yes, I meant simtools. Sorry.

I like that is simply bolts underneath a playseat, its (fairly) quiet, from what I can tell from videos. It can be 2Dof or 4Dof, so its expandable. And the design is so simple and small.

I would be using it (or any system) with an Oculus Rift, so I don't need to worry about monitors etc... And its compatible with all their seats.

Playseat won't be releasing it before the end of the year, and no price has been set, but I'm betting its around $2000.

I want to build a system (some very nice 2DOF projects on here, Im very jealous) and this is a great place to get inspired.

BSFT, I saw your build, and it looks awesome!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Its ok @Leo Burton , there is no issue here in talking about XSIM we just don't support the aging software here anymore.

Oculus stuff coming along in leaps and bounds, I have tried it on motion rig, old unit and the head movement because of the seat movement made me sea sick very quickly but don't fear I have been lead to believe now this option can be tuned and the effect is a lot more pleasant now.

Yea would surprise me if they come just under the cost of DBOX units , have a simular very short throw.

Yes a 2DOF Seat Mover might be a simple design but for racing purposes , emulates what is happening inside the cabin , very nicely as I have spent some time track racing, and compares very closely.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Scratch

Scratch Active Member

Balance:
    281Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I'm using firstgen low res Oculus Rift with my "soon about to be finished" seat mover and I like the immersion very much, image is shaking offcourse with movements, but I think it only adds immersion. But what fits to some, might not fit for someone else. Many people get sick with Rift without motion at all.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Leo Burton

Leo Burton Active Member

Balance:
    2,625Coins
    Ratings:
    +129 / 1 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Thanks eaorobbie and scratch.

I'm hoping the DK2 or the consumer version will make motion sickness less of an issue. I'm not very susceptible to sea-sickness so I should be ok (fingers crossed)
  8. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Neither am I , but it caused me to feel quiet unwell, plus made it almost impossible to picture where I actually had my steering wheel turned plus hitting buttons and handbrake controls was like trying to find them in the dark. LOL. But some do manage ok from video I have seen.
    I still rely on seeing the angle my wheel is turned at to judge how far I need to counter steer out of a corner. We are all different , just not my kid of fun, 3x 32" 3d TVS produce all the cues I require to race fast and effective.
  9. Leo Burton

Leo Burton Active Member

Balance:
    2,625Coins
    Ratings:
    +129 / 1 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Thats a good point, I guess I won't know until I try.

My current setup is very low-rent. Just a wheel and pedals combo off a (cockpit-like) armchair, in front of a 10ft projector. The projector experience is awesome, and a motion sim would be awesome in front of it!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Leo Burton , speaking of projectors, heres our UK counterpart behind his 3 projectors on his sim.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Leo Burton

Leo Burton Active Member

Balance:
    2,625Coins
    Ratings:
    +129 / 1 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Holy hell!! That is amazing! Life size racing! That is so awesome! Thats the true way to do it!!

He did a great job of blending the images. Must be some good software out there.