1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Triple screen using big projectors or Oculus Rift?

Discussion in 'Electronic and hardware generally' started by Pit, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,416Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Hi all

2014 I bought three Qumis Q2 for a triple screen. Unfortunately the LED modules of these low cost LEDs have different native temperatures, but are within the specifications.

I was reliably informed that for professional devices such as Video Walls and more expensive projectors, extra hardware and software are added to allow for more adjustment and calibration of the LED temperatures.

The Q7 would have have such additional hardware and calibration software, so I got now an offer to switch to the Qumis Q7.

There is now one really important question: should I wait for VRs like the Oculus Rift and stay with the color issue or pay the the more costs?

One big review of the Q7 u will finde here: http://translate.google.fr/translat...02/vivitek-qumi-q7-test-projecteur/&sandbox=1
  2. Pit

Balance:
    30,416Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    More informations found about Q7 (glass lens) in comparison with the Q5 or Q2 (plastic lens):

1) It has adjustable feet
    2) It has glass lens;
    3) It has a manual zoom. Range (+10%)
    4) It's a bit noisy (does not matter, the psu's and the winches are certainly louder)
    5) 800 lumen
    6) expensive...
  3. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    I prefer triple screens, have tried a VR rig on a sim, and only my opinion found it really hard to keep head still to stop the camera view(eyes) from shaking and distorting, eventually leading to headache, Im back to a single 32" screen and as dollars allow will buy another 2 , result for me is a lot more relaxing drive.
    Mate in Uk uses 3 projectors on a big curved screen the view is impressive but my funds wont allow me to go that far, would be my choice if I had the extra dollars. 3 projects and a curved 180 deg screen. Surround Video.

P.S he bought the units via ebay for 40 odd pound each and bought 4 to gain 3 good units, one for parts, best thing he only had to clean all and repair one.
  4. Pit

Balance:
    30,416Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    @eaorobbie in deed this fact could be the biggest issue due to our head is shaking all the time. Did not think about that. Thanks for the input.
  5. shanothegreat

shanothegreat Member Gold Contributor

Technician
    Balance:
    496Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT
    I'm in the same situation. Bought three projectors from ebay all with different lamp hours and hence different colour temperatures. Downloaded Fly-elise software and blended the image. Works well but as the projectors weren't hd you lose too much resolution with the reconfigured image.
    I like the look of the Oculus Rift but am concerned that the gyroscopic head tracking may be an issue in a motion sim. I wonder if it can be compensated for with a plugin in Sim Tools?
    Anyway at the moment I'm back to a triple 23" monitor set up courtesy again of ebay, can you believe a guy had 110 of them for sale at $50 each?
  6. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Here is an example of a mates in the Uk who I gave a little hand too.
    3x projectors - curved screen 3dof rig with analog dashboard.

• Like Like x 2
  7. telfel

telfel Active Member

Balance:
    4,735Coins
    Ratings:
    +118 / 3 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Pit

Balance:
    30,416Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    cardboard? What was that supposed to be? It was meant as a joke... (it is not not 1 April 2014...)
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. lee1970

lee1970 New Member

Field Service Engineer
    Balance:
    17Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Unfortunately I just missed out on the first batch of Oculus Rift DK2, so likely will not get mine until sometime in August. I have designed a few different rigs to hold the tracking camera and minimize the head shake differential on a motion rig, we will see how it goes. Expect it to be a ball of fun irrespective.
  11. telfel

telfel Active Member

Balance:
    4,735Coins
    Ratings:
    +118 / 3 / -0
    Hi @Pit Yes a Joke
    Sorry I didn't know the Swiss only told jokes on the 1st of April, lol
    It will be interesting tho when a smart phone with HDMI in is available.

regards Terry
    • Like Like x 1
  12. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Apps already exist for the use of an iphone as a 2nd screen for pc and max, android probably has them too.
    So idea is feasible , just not comfortable and doesn't still deal with the sim movements, which mine are harsh , hard enough to focus on a 32" screen in front of me, lol
  13. Gilby

Gilby New Member

Balance:
    556Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  14. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    I'd go with a triple screen too.
    The head shaking problem would be too anointing during a ride on the sim I believe.
    But you could still go 3d if you wanted too, as the glasses you would wear would not cause the head shaking problem.
    yobuddy.
  15. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    I believe the http://technicalillusions.com/ option was built with D&D in mind.
    It is pretty amazing technology as every pair of glasses also has a projector built into them.
    yobuddy
    • Informative Informative x 1