1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

UMP Open Wheel Modified Series

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by Tendonitus, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Tendonitus

Tendonitus Semper Fi

Business Owner
    Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hi All,

Thought some of you maybe interested in following my open wheel modified dirt car we run here in the USA.

A little History on us. My driver is 29 and the son of my BF. We have raced on asphalt since he was 8. We are starting our 3rd season on dirt and this has not been a easy transition. There is much truth said in " You can take a dirt car driver and put him on asphalt much easier than taking an asphalt driver and putting him on dirt" of coarse this also pertains to the whole crew.

We will be traveling to various tracks this year in Tennessee, Kentucky and Ohio.

Here is a link to our last race of the season in 2013. We are the 4th car on the inside row (staring 7th) #18J. They give us a few laps to get some heat on the tires as this was November and cold.
    There originally was 47 cars from 9 states that showed up for this season closer. You must race your way into the A main / Feature Race through Heat races with only the top 4 from each heat (10 cars) advancing to the A main.

This is the A Main

If you all have interest in this , I will continue to post weekly. Thanks for watching.
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Thanks mate , will watch any speedway ya post, got methanol in the blood here.
  3. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    If they only had smell a vision. Thanks again, I feel the need to put rFactor back on my sim, They have some good Dirt cars and tracks.
    Yes I grew up on Dirt so I too know how hard it is to change your driving style. But found Drift racing easy and a little boring.lol.
    A lot of cautions in one race thou, looked like the high line was where the speed was on that race.
    Cheers good luck in the next race.
  4. Tendonitus

Tendonitus Semper Fi

Business Owner
    Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  5. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Good run so was that a 3rd place for that run. Nearly wiped out on the stalled driver, just about closed me eyes. Still searching for that nice corner, seems to back off too early and not getting the boot back in it quick enough we all have a different style.
    Best of luck with the next round.
    Making me home sick for sure. Bring back methanol memories for sure.
    Grew up at tracks like that.
  6. Tendonitus

Tendonitus Semper Fi

Business Owner
    Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    We ended up second and yes, his Dad and I have been harping at him to drive it in harder and wait for the car to turn before back on the throttle. He either says he has a push or right rear breaking loose. (all in throttle control in my opinion) He comes from a background of asphalt and hard to break them habits after 20 years on it.
    We have been speaking to one of the top drivers here in the states and he has agreed to work with him. We just have to take a 5 hour haul with the car to his local track.
  7. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Money can not buy that kind of help, will be a bonus for his career.
    Sorry looked like 3rd , 2nd is way better.
    The track looked hard and glassy, drive would have been hard to get right, feathering of the throttle is a must, can not just go hard on hard off, or too much wheel spin will work against ya. Throttle control is key to holding that nice fast drift through the corner. And agree I did find it extremely hard to go from dirt to asphalt, my instinct to hang the rear out and push through an apex was so wrong on the black stuff, worked well for me when I went drifting for a year, but track racing, all I could do was burn me tyres out too quickly, nice fast start, get through the field, oops tyres going, fall back through the field, took me awhile to work out how to manage the tyre life, not a thing I ever worried about on the dirt.
    Sounds like your heading him in the right direction, if I could ever convince the wife to let me go back to track racing, I would be there in a flash, but we decided to buy a house and get that ticked of the list, then I can go have fun again.
  8. Tendonitus

Tendonitus Semper Fi

Business Owner
    Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    how is the steel business there? I deal with fabricators daily here, big part of my business and now getting into the busy season here. My sim build is going to be slower than I was hoping now...lol

The link you were thinking about on the Hall sensors, is that the one that shows it on a joy stick build?
  9. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Industry is slowly picking back up here, as mines still recovering from Government's New Mine Taxes, nearly killed the economy, well killed the mining boom.
    There demands is what drives the whole of Western Australia economy and they slow, so do we.
    I would not stress on time for build , good things come to people who wait.
    Yes that's one another is a biro casing with two magnets either side and the hall effect sensor in the middle of it, so as the magnets rotate the reading through the hall sensor changes. Easier option is to spend $15 -20 on a pot that already has it in it. But DIY stuff can be a lot cheaper and fun, but sometime comes with its own problems too.
  10. Tendonitus

Tendonitus Semper Fi

Business Owner
    Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Heat race last Saturday the 19th

Feature race Saturday the 19th
    • Like Like x 1
  11. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Good race held some nice lines, race 2 had me on the edge of the seat most of the run, nice tight driving the other fella was trying hard.:thumbs

Well Done , do enjoy them, can still smell the fuel burning.
    Cheers :popcorn
  12. Tendonitus

Tendonitus Semper Fi

Business Owner
    Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    changed gear on rear end for last week and still don't think its enough. Moving to a 7:04 and maybe it will help keep his momentum up in the corners as he is now driving in harder, but in turn is on the brakes harder causing our 650 lbs right front spring to collasp and then the frame eats dirt.

That car behind us should have never been that close to us. We have all top of the line and he has old worn out parts. Big difference in the driver experience though.
  13. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Getting that wanted drive out of the corner is a balancing act on the night, depending on slickness of track, how worn the tyres are, we use to tune the car in by setting a good ratio on the diff for the track, certain tracks you want it higher or lower, and then we set the starting pressures of the rear tyres to change the grip the tyres had on track. Its all a balancing act in getting it to slide in a productive way. Can be frustrating as the track drys , you change then they wet it again , ah !!.

Your driver is getting better the only way his gunna get better is to drive it more. Some are naturals on dirt but cant drive hard on asphalt and some can drive both hard , this is rare.
    Did he go for a run in a sprintcar in the end, this would surely show him some new tips in getting that beast hard into the corner and as fast as possible out the other side. Open my eyes when I drove a sprinter(6 cylinder) in the mechanics feature race, blew me away how fast you could corner them at. World of fun.
  14. Tendonitus

Tendonitus Semper Fi

Business Owner
    Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    no, we went from 20 years of asphalt to dirt and picked the hardest car to start with for a driver and crew. These are a 4 link reear end and every drop or raise of a bar changes something else. We just try to pick the lesser of the evil.

His Dad and I both went to Mark Bush's school of dirt set up, "Race Wise" for the last 2 years. We even had some fellows in the class from South Africa. Wow, they race the opposite way around the track, can't even imagine how to flip 180' what you learn here.

I'm looking into a couple of dirt driving scho0ls to send him too. I like the idea of the 6 cylinders, and can see where that would help, however we don't have any classes in that motor size 4's and 8's only.
  15. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    The sprinters taught me how to steer the car with the brakes and Accel and just use the steering wheel to fine tune its direction , and yes setting that rear in the right sweet spot is a key in getting it in and out of the corner nicely plus to the driver too. Its amazing feeling behind the wheel when you get it just right.
    Im from the era of when speedway was fun and the average person could buy a bomb of a car, spend 1.5k to bring it up to spec and just getting out there to have fun. These days it blows me away what they spend on the cars of today, to go not much faster at all, compared to what we were doing 20 years ago in bombs running methanol.
    But in the past , I have seen old cars with bad old setups get up and go around 100k machines, a lot does come down to time behind the wheel, indeed.
    From the first video his coming along nicely and driving it faster and neater every time.
  16. Tendonitus

Tendonitus Semper Fi

Business Owner
    Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Saturday, May 31 2014
    Heat Race

Feature Race
    • Like Like x 2
  17. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Well done if i go this right a First in his heat and 2nd in the feature wow, his doing well.
    Nice driving, plus good to see back markers stepping out the way to let the faster guys through, one of my pet hates with online racing, they don't consider the guys around them.
    Again top drive need a pat on the back for sure.
    So how is the standings for the championship, his got to be in the top ?. His got the skills and the car.
  18. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    We use to have a dirt track about 15 minutes away from were I live, my son actually learnt to drive there before he was old enough to drive on the street. I remember getting the tyres properly setup for the changing track was a real art form. Unfortunately it closed.
  19. Tendonitus

Tendonitus Semper Fi

Business Owner
    Balance:
    1,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    right now 5th in points. we have not been going but every other week. I put the car up for sale this week and we are moving into a late model. It will move him from 8" wheel width to 14" and should be easy for him with a quicker learning curve. Plus, we can run at several more tracks around us, as the open wheel division is very limited on tracks we can run at.
  20. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Keep us all informed , 5th in points not bad for a driver learning the ropes in a class his not familiar with.
    mmm More runs equals more videos to watch Cool.
    Best of luck for a quick transition.