1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

PC Power supply 750 Watt enough?

Discussion in 'Electronic and hardware generally' started by Michael Hensen, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Michael Hensen

Michael Hensen Active Member

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Is a PC power supply of 750 watt like the Corsair CX750M be enough to power the monster moto shield with 2 zyt-90 motors? Or will it be too low on max current?!

I have a 175A PSU but it sound like a vacuum cleaner :)

Thanks in advance,

Michael
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    volts divided by watts = amps , so 62.5 amps, but it depends on what the actual 12v current is.
    And 62 amps max, probably not, you can still run a sim, but fairly soft motion. Best allow 40 amps per motor. Minimum.
  3. Michael Hensen

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hmm .. in that case I hold on to my 'vacuum' cleaner..
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    just turn the volume up and or wear headphones
  5. Barry

Barry Active Member

Web Developer
    Balance:
    3,877Coins
    Ratings:
    +251 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    HP G4 server power supplies are what you need. 15GBP each from ebay and they're 47A each.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Michael Hensen

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    are they loud?? that is the main question.. And I assume I could join 2 of the HP G4 supplies to double the amps combined or will this give trouble?
  7. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Server power supplies are in most cases loud. THe question should be it works or not, I use a server psu and winches but if the speaker is loud enough (and not too loud at all) I don't hear anything from my rig.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Hi Michael. Your Server power supply is capable of supplying 175A and the three internal fans are capable of keeping it running when supplying this massive amount of current. With the motors drawing around 32A each you could quite happily run on half of the rated output. What you might want to consider therefore is fitting some small voltage droppers in line with each of the three fans, reducing the voltage will significantly reduce the noise. From memory I think the fans are 12V so you could look at dropping this to 7V or 6V quite comfortably.
    The reducers I'm think of are very small enclosed circuit boards. If I can find a link I'll add it here.
    As a simple solution you could use a heavy duty wirewound resistor to drop the voltage but you would then need to be careful where you sited the resistors because of the heat they would generate.

Note: the fans have a feedback wire so the voltage droppers need to be fitted to the +ve and -ve supply lines only. The power supply will shutdown if the fans are not running at all, or if they're running very slow. Running at half speed should be Ok.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  9. Michael Hensen

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks Roadster2!! That is a good suggestion, I was thinking in that line but didn't dare to go that way. It is almost scary to turn it on right now :)
    Well the first time I turned it on I turned it off immediately as I thought something might be wrong, the second time I dared to let it run till it quited down a bit.. That was when I thought it might be alright :)

If you can find a link please let me now, I will try and search too..

thanks in advance!!
  10. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Hi Michael. I've found cheaper units than this in the past but this is the sort of device I'm suggesting - http://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/anyvolt-micro. These are basically a small Switching Voltage Regulator. Because of the way they work they don't generate heat as a normal voltage regulator IC would, so easy to heat shrink and tuck into a void somewhere.

Another option could be to obtain the information from the internal fans and to source replacements of the same size but slower running and quieter. Dell often use proprietary connectors so the original connectors may need to be removed and attached to the new fans.

I still have one of these power supplies for sale so given a bit of time I could open it up and check to see what fans are fitted.
  11. Michael Hensen

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I think I've found what you mean.. you gave me the correct search criteria with the anyvolt micro..

Something like this http://www.ebay.com/bhp/lm2596
    And I guess I need 2 of them
    1 in the front and 1 for the combined 2 fans at the back..
  12. Michael Hensen

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Well as I had to order some parts ..Like a new arduino Uno.. I just ordered 2 of these LM2596 along with the rest.. I'll just give it a shot..
    Hopefully the PSU isn't smart enough to raise the RMP when it sees the RPM went down, if it can see it :)
  13. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Since no one answered this question yet, I will. Never "assume" anything if you want to be on the safe side. Do not consider a power supply to be like a battery. Power supplies today are usually switching types which mean they only produce the amount of current needed based on what is drawn on them. Usually you can't link them together to supply more current because the current produced by one, effects the current output produced on the other! Some can be linked however but you must be sure they have to capacity to due so first. Some use special pins to link their signals together. While the HP G4 power supply is hot swappable, I don't know if this means they are linkable or not.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Seriously @Michael Hensen , why are you so concerned with fan noise? Fans make noise and do a job.