1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

2DOF motion platform concept

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by BADDERICK, Mar 13, 2014.

1. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes, thats it. Even a small size car speaker with a low pass filter would do the job, maybe a 4" or 6" car speaker.
    Ummm....whats a mobile/handy?
  2. BADDERICK

BADDERICK Another Member

Balance:
    319Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, Joyrider, Motion platform
    Cell phone. In Europe they call them a handy
    vibration motor is just a motor with a offset weight on it. The faster you spin it the more it shakes
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Spring one done before, it dampened the motion badly. Yes a vibration motor will work , mmm we could use an Ard and run it with the GameDash and use the Rpm to create motor vibrations or use Game Engine to capture the heave data. All possible, I dont need this as a properly setup profile with the Jrks I can feel all that in my sim. Specially on Dirt Series , you can feel the roughness or smoothness of the road, even better running over a wodden bridge you feel the car going over every bit of timber, real nice feel.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    @eaorobbie I agree, I finally figured out how to properly set up my profiles. Now my winch motors and Arduinos send every small bump in the road directly up my spine, lol.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. BADDERICK

BADDERICK Another Member

Balance:
    319Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I was making this for mainly flying, but it would nice to make this platform a good option for all, Racing and flying. I will have to put some more thought into this aspect.
    I made a new model yesterday. First model used a 5' circle (scale). new one uses an 8' circle which places the deck lower in the arch and places more downward pressure. I think this will work much better, but will require more movement of actuators. I will get pics up later

This plastic seems to slide better with more weight on it. If you rub 2 pieces together in your hands. It feels rough(pieces are not smooth, They say the rougher the surface, the better it slides), and doesn't slide very easy in your hands. If you put to pieces stacked up on the floor and step on it, it's like ice skating.

They actually use this stuff for ice skating rinks when they make them for stage show and things where real ice floor isn't an option.
  6. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Well done the Ard's are surprising me daily , very very good to hear.
  7. BADDERICK

BADDERICK Another Member

Balance:
    319Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Very busy here finishing my remodel and starting on my new 900 sqft shop. But I ordered 3 X small linear stage. 3 X L298N Dual H bridge and Arduino Uno R3 and extension breadboard last night to get my new model moving.

It has been many years since I played with Arduino, What should I use in Arduino to connect to SimTools?

I want to be ready when everything arrives.

Thank you for your help.
  8. BADDERICK

BADDERICK Another Member

Balance:
    319Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I got the Arduino uno R3, a motor shield, 3 x stepper stages, and 3 x l298n dual h bridges the other day. I added 2 of the stages to my model for pitch and roll( I have one left for yaw) and I have been trying to make it all work. After days of reading and trying to understand the code, I am able to control one stage at a time with the motor shield, but I only get them to shutter, or run one direction with the h bridges. I'm just not sure what does what coming out of it.

Here is a video of one stage sort of working. LoL

When I connect the H bridge

A+ from motor - to - out 1 on H bridge
    A- " " " out 2
    B+ out 3
    B- out 4

Input:
    This is where I am a little confused, I know 2 are for direction and 2 are brake. I've tried it various ways and it either doesn't reverse or just shutters. Now granted, my sketches probably are a lot of the problem. Do they correspond to the outputs?
    ena1 pwm1
    in1 =?
    in2 =?
    in3=?
    in4=?
    ena2 pwm2

I have also tried it with the jumpers on ena1 and ena2 and just operating it on the four pins with about the same results.

Attached Files:

9. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    @BADDERICK , Ok can you please provide a link for the card you are using, from there I can advise on hook up.
    With steppers I prefer dedicated stepper drivers far easier to work with them. But do remember something about this card supporting steppers.
    I have used them for dashboards, makes great analogue gauges so I should be able to advise you on code and hookup.
    You can PM me your code if you wish to keep it quite until you have sorted it all out, I too don't like to release things that don't work fully.
    Plus have great respect for others codes too.
  10. BADDERICK

BADDERICK Another Member

Balance:
    319Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @eaorobbie , Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I bought it off ebay, They were cheap and I thought they would work for testing. There are no specks other then it will operate one stepper or two motors.

This is what I have. Thank you for any help

Attached Files:

11. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
  12. BADDERICK

BADDERICK Another Member

Balance:
    319Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @eaorobbie thanks for that link. If I understand it, It looks like the in's and outs are are matched up through the l298n. That helps a lot.

In the sketch on that page it shows ccw and cw on pins 2&3. Clockwise and counter clockwise. What are they connecting here to operate it? #define CW 2
    #define CCW 3

#define ENA 8
    #define ENB 13

#define black 9 // In1
    #define brown 10 // In2
    #define orange 11 // In3
    #define yellow 12 // In4

I will see if I can hook it up and try it again in the morning.
  13. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    The code contains the pin out, basicly the ard pins 2 & 3 will control direction of turn, ie if pin 2 is high and pin 3 is low the stepper should turn Clockwise.
    The driver needs to be enabled (turned on) that's connected to pin 8 and 13, basically if pin 8 is high only stepper 1 will move if both are high both can move.

last but is the stepper connection, colors refer to a std that most 4 wire steppers have. If not need to work out which pair is connected to which coil.
    So this should show you where to hook it all up too.
  14. BADDERICK

BADDERICK Another Member

Balance:
    319Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thank you again for all your help. I haven't had time to sit with this much.

Since my steppers do not have colored wires, I only know A+A-B+B-. I did a little searching and found.

A+ = Yellow
    A- = Orange
    B+ = Black
    B- = Brown

I hope this is correct.

When I look at the schematic on that page, it shows Brown going from out 1 through to in 1, and black from out 2 to in 2, but in the sketch, it shows them reversed. Black in 1 and brown in 2. Is this a mistake?

Sorry for all the questions, Just trying to understand all this.