1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Video showing one of the first types of motion simulators

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by BlazinH, Apr 9, 2014.

1. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    We should give thanks that we live in this day and age! :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    lol free advertisement for them, lol , not a bad flight sim, been on one, not real good feel for racing, and bloody expensive too, for what ya get.

I still have my first static sim - 1973 HQ Holden bench seat with 2 wheels attached, 2x PS2 for running grand tursimo, 2 lcd, use to be 2x 68cm tvs.
    Bloody good fun head to head racing, if the other driver was beating you , you either pushed him off the seat or bounced up and down on your side to put him off, lots of late nights on the piss with the mates having fun, Now resides in my old mans workshop for the grankids to thrash.
  3. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I did not post this with the intention of free advertising! I just thought the first part of the video was funny and wanted to share it with others! Besides, most everyone on this site has already researched what different types of commercial simulators are available so probably most already know of Blue Tiger anyway. And while the motion on this simulator is okay I guess, I think we do a much better job of it here!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    agreed
  5. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Sorry I meant no offence, they're user interface is very user friendly, and the first part of video is a scream, think most of us could say we did something simular as a child, I ll put me hand up and never lost that imagination.
  6. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    No offense taken Rob (@eaorobbie )! I just wanted to make clear that I’m not pushing Blue Tiger sims in any way and the post was just about the “funny”. Thanks mate!
  7. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Well guys,
    In my youth (60+ years ago) - we sat in lettuce crates and pop boxes, pretended we were flying airplanes.....little later on, about 8 years of age, most of us could not afford to be in the soap box derby, or our Dads' were busy working and eeking out a living for us, Moms' didn't work - so, no money for soap box derby wheels or adult help - but we were so ingenious - we would "raid" another neighborhood and steal enough tricycle wheels and wood to make us a faux go-kart or derby car..........hell man, it was fun UNTIL you wanted to stop.....at that time, we couldn't figure out how to incorporate a brake, so we would use a "stick from a tree" to hold on the rear wheel to stop - which of course it didn't - so among the scrapes, bruises, heck man, we had FUN! - You know guys, I really DO miss the innocence of youth and the "good ol' days"!

Many blessings,

Tom
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you can still buy billykarts like that, my local hardware store was selling them.I was going to buy one and plan to motorise it. Mmmmm.....rope steering billykart that would do a 10 second 1/4 mile. That will work!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    YES! We did somehow manage to have fun back in the day didn’t we Tom! I think it’s a wonder we ever made it to adulthood when you compare to how so many parents today attempt to protect their kids from, well life!

AND, I must agree that is was quite “ingenious” to raid another neighborhood for parts in an attempt to make a go-kart! My best friend and I instead decided to raid his dad’s lawnmower engine and wheels. I think we were 8 years old also! We thought at the time we had an “ingenious” plan though. Once his dad left for work, the plan was to disassemble his lawnmower, use the wheels and engine for the day to run the go-kart we had already made, and then reassemble it before his dad got home so no harm, no foul! Well, we got as far as disassembling the lawnmower but that about it! Lol! We never could get it to drive the go-kart and we spent the last hour or two of the day in an attempt to reassemble the lawnmower. It was only an attempt however and a total fail! Needless to say my friends dad was pissed off as hell! Luckily for me, I was at least “ingenious” enough to let my “best” friend volunteer his dad’s lawnmower instead of using my dads so I didn’t get in any trouble to speak of! However, I wasn’t allowed to visit my friend again for three weeks because he got grounded! Lol!

I too miss the days of youth and “no responsibilities” to speak of! I equate youth to freedom; most don’t realize how precious it is until after they’ve had it and loose it!
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  10. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    BlazinH,
    Heck man, it was fun and it built character and just plain ol' grit needed for when we grew up. These kids today don't know squat.... you put them on a farm with animals and "just a little work", WITHOUT their
    iPads, ePads, uPads, Phones, iPods or whatever they use today - shit - they would DIE! but oh my, just think what these kids are "really missing"!
    When my 37 year old "attorney" son comes over - IT's a RULE in MY HOUSE - the phone stays on the counter on in my pocket - well, for all of them - nothing pisses me off more than having a nice family meal and my adult kids texting - I flat put a stop to it.....you want to visit - choose your phone or your parents - BUT, you cannot have both!!!!!!!!!! (Yes, "me" has his iPhone and iPad, but it's not growing to me)....
    Geezeeeeeeeee!

BTW - When I was 11, got a job carrying the newspapers - paid about 7 bucks a week back then - worked you skinny little butt off, but heck man, 7 dollars - sure had to cut a lot of grass at 8 years old to get 7 dollars......... WELL, I saved up enough money to buy a go-cart frame - no wheels, no motor, no padded seat, just a frame, "waiting" for all the extras...cost me about 19.00, which was three weeks pay....
    Well it was delivered, and even as a kid at 11, I knew it was crap...........SUMMARY, as far as I got, bought 4 tires (one at a time) for 8.00 ea......and after about a year, had a frame and 4 tires......my brother would push me around in it.....................NEVER could afford a McCullough or any engine for it........dream down the drain..........

Hey fellows, I'm sorry - my last two posts have been NOTHING about this topic.........just going through my second or third childhood.........
    I will stop NOW so Rene won't get on to me for being off-topic (He really should - MY BAD)

Have a blessed one to all,

Tom
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Hey buddy @cthiggin ! You are really funny but what you say is sad at the same time! I know where you come from though! And don't fret; this is my post and its under "Off topic fun and nonsense". And I am having a blast!
  12. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hey friend BlazinH,
    Well, I am glad some of us can relate to the "good ol'days", AND they were....I'm just glad I grew up in a period where people cared about people - neighbors would help out other neighbors - doors and windows left unlocked - you could go out and play ALL day, and your Mom said be home before dark..............and I didn't have to iPhone her / or / rotary dial her...........
    Geeze, now when I go to certain parts of my town or when the wife and I go out for dinner, I have the ol' Mr. Glock strapped to my ankle.....just "ain't" going to put up with any crap.......
    and I STILL like the phrase - "Kiss my ass and the horse you rode in on".........and that's what "me" think........

I'm going to have to go back to the alter in church this Sunday..........I have been "so BAD" these past few days.......and that's not me.....I'm one of the nicest guys you "never" want to meet...
    guess my alter-ego is coming out...........but, dog gone it, I'm have fun and a few laughs.

ALL of you pray for my "civility" and Many Blessings to you!

Tom
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Hey Tom (@cthiggin ) ! Sorry I didn’t get back until now but I have been busy finishing up my new rig over the weekend and getting motion to it. The kangaroo was a fail but the software I wrote for use with my first rig is working great with the new one with some modifications to it to account for a different motor arrangement, movement, etc. Just need to work a little more on getting the tune just right but very happy with the results so far!

Btw, that phrase you used is a very popular one here in Oklahoma. And that thing you have strapped to your ankle is pretty popular here too! It’s too bad most the people on the east and west coasts don’t seem to get it!

Amen, Amen, Amen!!!!
  14. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    BlazinH,
    Hello friend. Glad you're getting you rig running well.
    I'm close - Have the spline tube, shaft collar, upper frame, all welded up - have to paint it though. Spring should be here in about 2.5 more weeks.
    Since I've got all the cutting and welding done, it's coming on real fast now. Will try and place motors and heims in next two weeks. Going to post pictures on my build thread in a few days.

FYI - When I moved to Alabama thirty years ago, it was a real nice, Bible Belt, southern state. ALL races respected each other..........................heck man - now you walk into Walmart, there's five or six females with about 9 infants blocking the grocery isles, and hell, they won't move if you put a bomb under their asses. Gangs - GEEZE - it's just ashamed how things have gotten here...BUT, by gosh, I'm not getting out of Dodge - before I introduce them to Mr. Glock. This is my country - I am white - not black or Mexican and if it wasn't for my kind, they wouldn't be here in the first place...have absolutely nothing against any race, but I respect all humans and I expect the same - SUMMARY - friend, it's not the color - it's the culture they were raised in.....and yes, I have a Mexican lady that cleans my house once a week....love her.........but I'm tired of going into Home Depot or Lowes, well hell, just anywhere - and having to ask for instructions in English or a menu in English........

BlazinH, man you get me started........and I just know Rene' is going to abolish me from this forum - BEFORE I get my sim finished............ALL your Fault BlazinH...

Good to hear from you,

Tom

PS....Rene', I promise (2nd time) that I will stop this nonsense that has nothing to do with the thread or build....I'm old and just get carried away when it comes to my beloved USA.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I sent you a Private Message @cthiggin so we can continue reminiscing, etc. there if you wound like. :thumbs
  16. GoRacing

GoRacing Member

Balance:
    96Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    hahaha Here I settled for the construction of my simulator! I still have the seat of my son a few small wooden box I find it ... I miss only a fool that drives me:grin:grin:grin:grin:grin
  17. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    ROFL! :thumbs
    • Friendly Friendly x 1