1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Misanthrop's spontaneous racing sim project

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Misanthrop, Feb 13, 2024.

1. Misanthrop

Misanthrop New Member

Balance:
    94Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Greetings from Germany.

I decided to build a fullmotion setup about two weeks ago. So far exclusively for racing like ACC, GT7 or iRacing in the future.
    Almost 10 years ago I welded a simrig out of steel tubes for two friends. I only fulfilled my wish at the end of 2018. As I worked a lot with Bosch profiles in my job and I attach great importance to flexibility, the decision was quickly made.
    20181201_170428.jpg

At that time with Thrustmaster T300 and after few weeks with many mods, later with Loadcell pedals and Shifter.

Switched few years later to Fanatec and have designed extra holders for the base 20240213_173818.jpg

and this is the current situation. 20240213_171116.jpg

So this for the past. Two weeks ago i decided to build a fullmotion setup.
    I did a lot of reading, looked at many different existing products as well as DIY projects and only very few of them were attractive, most of the products simply too expensive for me.
    After all the research, I liked designs that didn't sit too high and didn't take up too much space. I also think that most rigs are completely overengineered. Since I already have a rig made from Bosch profiles and I still absolutely love it, I wanted to continue using it and create everything based on it.

That's how I came across the SFX100 components, which are also very good value for money. When searching for all the components, however, I realized that there is no 100x100 ITEM profile in Germany. So I looked for the 90x90, checked it out, found out that nothing would fit and then redesigned everything last Saturday.
    Aktuator innen.JPG

The actuator is based on a 90x90 ITEM profile with an 80ST motor, other components are almost the same, but the design is different to the SFX100 system. The actuator has 175mm stroke.

I also want to integrate a surge system right away, which I designed yesterday. Simrig+Surge.JPG

I have intentionally left out all brackets and fastening elements in the design that I do not design myself.
    Current dimensions 1.8m x 0.9m
    At the moment I am trying out double traction loss, but I don't have a finished design yet and am currently testing which one I like visually, isn't too high and at the same time is simple and easy to implement. I will submit pictures in the next few days.

Most of the parts have been ordered in the meantime and are arriving daily. The parts that have already been designed are already being 3D printed. Depending on the intended use, initially in PLA or PETG.
    20240211_110402.jpg 20240213_165234.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Raulmerlos

Raulmerlos Member

Mecanico maquinaria calzado
    Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    What motors and drivers are you going to use?
  3. Misanthrop

Misanthrop New Member

Balance:
    94Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Nothing fancy, the often used 80ST-M02430+AASD 15A
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Misanthrop

Misanthrop New Member

Balance:
    94Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Spent a lot of time over the last few days building tractionloss front and rear, unfortunately never with a result I was really happy with.

The vertical actuators will have SP22 ball rollers. They will be placed on 3mm steel plates (currently not on pictures of the construction)

The front shaft of the tractionloss will have a hinge on the outside to hold the frame in position. Two flange bearings at the rear.
    Tractionloss rear.JPG

The stroke of the Tractionloss is 180 mm in both directions. Not yet completely finished, but the basic concept is ready. I am always open to ideas and suggestions.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Raulmerlos

Raulmerlos Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    Could you show what Arduino code you use and connections, thanks.
  6. Misanthrop

Misanthrop New Member

Balance:
    94Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Have bought a Thanoscontroller in addition to a MagicBox, everything else in the future wheneverything arrived.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Raulmerlos

Raulmerlos Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
  8. Misanthrop

Misanthrop New Member

Balance:
    94Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    More and more parts arrived and almost all print parts are done.
    20240227_165519.jpg

Since I want to have the complete load on the aluminum profile and not on the 3D-printed parts, I drilled out the linear bearings with an 11mm hole to be able to screw them directly to the profile or to transfer all forces directly to the profile. This also gives a much cleaner look. This also gives a much cleaner look. 20240302_103310.jpg 20240302_103424.jpg
    20240302_105350.jpg

As the existing bucket seat was already very old, I decided to go for something new
    20240302_135500.jpg

Surge and Tractionloss are now also fully constructed. The last parts for this are currently being printed Unbenannt.JPG Tractionloss Fusion.JPG

I'm currently waiting for the FK12 fixed bearings and the DOF MagicBox before I can start the final assembly. But that's not so bad as I'm currently very busy at work and I'm also moving my workshop.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Misanthrop

Misanthrop New Member

Balance:
    94Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    The last parts arrived and had spent some time the last days to put the puzzle together.

Bought an server rig
    20240319_220844.jpg

And finally yesterday i got the software running with ps5 and gt7

20240327_234146.jpg

At first now only with 4 servos for testing and it works very good.

Spent also half an hour to draw an Housing for an estop, printed it yesterday and i am happy with the result
    20240327_234125.jpg 20240327_234201.jpg

Next steps:
    -Wire the server rig properly, 4 main servos, surge and TL should be able to be switched on and off separately

-Install components for surge

-Proper non-slip base

-Fine tuning

-Draw and order the final parts for TL front and rear
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Misanthrop

Misanthrop New Member

Balance:
    94Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

After I had some problems with SRS and was about to switch to SimTools, everything is now working as I imagined. Maybe I will try SimTools in the future as SRS seems to be not well thought out. The squeaking noises unfortunately come from the Fanatec V3 pedals.

So that I have motivation to upgrade my current PC for SimRacing, I have bought three curved screens, the stand will be measured in the next few days and then profiles will be ordered again.

I've already installed TractionLoss, I still have to measure the base frame and order the profiles, but everything should be ready in no time.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Trent Robinson

Trent Robinson Member

Systems Engineer
    Balance:
    246Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Great build. Do you have any further information on what pieces you used for the sliding mechanism?
  12. Misanthrop

Misanthrop New Member

Balance:
    94Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    You mean surge? SFU1605 with HGR20 linear rails with 190mm stroke and 80st motor. Everything else i designed and printed myself 20240426_202050.jpg
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Trent Robinson

Trent Robinson Member

Systems Engineer
    Balance:
    246Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Yes, exactly. Did you design what slides on the linear rails or did you source a trolley of some sort? I'm interested in making a similar surge setup.
  14. Misanthrop

Misanthrop New Member

Balance:
    94Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Sliders are HGH20 with printed Adapter that i can mount them on the Bosch profile.

You see them on my desk on many pictures.
    • Like Like x 1